Sunday, August 14, 2011

Things are MUCH better, thank you!

Even though I had the worst weekend ever, things started looking up almost instantly. But how could they not? Anything is better than pink eye and poison ivy. This last weekend we went to Justin's parents cabin, and spent the night there. Saturday was really fun. We went kayaking! At first I was a little nervous, because the area where we pushed off from had a lot of trees and bushes and what not in the water, and I had all these horrible images of tipping over and having to swim in it. But it worked out. So we went for a little ride just around the trees and bushes. At one point, we turned a corner and this HUGE bird took off going "AHHH!!!! AHHH!!!!" And it nearly gave me a heart attack, because I started to think if the bird turned on me, I was going to have to beat it with my oar, which would then lead to me tipping over... but alas, all was well. Then Shane did a little fishing. Then Justin noticed some freaking ginormous crawdads. So naturally, they started to fish for them. Once they got one, Justin decides to eat it. So he pulled out his little camp stove, and throws it on. Yucko. But he ate it. We had to go home a little earlier than normal because we still had to go grocery shopping and birthday gift shopping. So we left around 4, and got our to-do list out of the way.
Sunday morning, I started babysitting for the lady who lives behind us. They have 4 kids. So that was an adventure. It really wasn't that bad. Eli (the little 2 year old boy) was SO easy to watch. He didn't cry ever. He went down for naps like a champ. He went to bed at 7:45 like a champ. And all in all, it was a good experience. Justin would come over and hang out with me and the kids. Eli loves Dora, and Justin would sit and watch it with him. It was adorable. Kind of funny because Justin rarely does that with his own nieces and nephew. But this was a bit different of a situation. We finished babysitting Tuesday night, and I have to admit, there were some serious learning experiences in that time. Both on parenting, picking battles, and how to handle things. I hope I remember!
So, a couple of weeks ago, I had told Justin that I wanted to do something that was just us. We've been doing a lot of family stuff lately, which I love, but it's summer, and I don't want to miss my chance to hang with just my husband.
So. What did we decide to do? Go backpacking! I was super excited. We invited some of our friends to come, and got all ready. Well. There must have been something lost in translation, because when I told Justin I wanted to go somewhere 'easy' he heard 'moderately hard'. I'd never been backpacking. Sooo.... little bit of a rough start. 3 miles straight up hill. What the face. Definitely wasn't ready for that. This was a trip I think I needed to prepare for. And didn't. So, we stopped a few times so as to catch our breath, and to let the old man running up pass us. Yeah.
2.5 hours later, we found our camping spot. It was a nice little spot next to the creek. There was a full moon, so right in the middle of the night, it felt like there was a spotlight on us. It was dang bright. And from what we thought, there was going to be a meteor shower, but alas, the moon was too bright to see anything. The next morning, we decided to forgo the hike up the rest of the mountain, and just started home after breakfast and cleaning up. We walked up to the lake, which was pretty. On our way back to get our stuff, Justin and I stumbled across some moose. Which kind of scared me. Two big moose, that were looking right at us. Little intimidating.
Now I'm sore, and my sleeping schedule has been thrown off. But the latter is because when we got home Justin and I took a 3 hour naps. Oops.


No comments: