Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Budget Update - fix-its

So we've been budgeting the last couple of months... well... we've been trying to budget. Luckily we have hospital bills from our amazing bundle of joy that's throwing everything off! That's okay, I love him.

So we had to adjust amounts. At first it was set up like $25, $40, $50, etc... so when I went to the bank, I had to go to the teller line and get a certain amount of $5's, a certain amount of $10's, and that was annoying. So we changed things to multiples of $20 so that we could get the money through the ATM.

Something else we've had to adjust is amounts in each category. We realized that we had too much in eating out, or date nights, when we weren't using it,  or relied too much on the idea of it. So we lessened those.

We're still tweaking things, and learning what works.

Something that we really need to work on is taking the money with us. I think I might just stick the whole thing in my purse/diaper bag, and that way we won't use the card so much... but on the occasion that we do use the card, I just take the money out, and then put it back in the next month when the totals start over.

I'll update again later with progress reports, savings reports, etc.

2 comments:

Kateka said...

Nice! I actually just downloaded an app recently called like... well, what is ... let me check... EEBA. It's supposed to be a virtual envelope system. I found with the envelope system, I was constantly juggling change, and it was bulky, so I think I might try this app so that I can still use my card, but hopefully stick to my budget. Way to be responsible! I admire you. :)

Kateka said...

Virtual is not the right word, but I can't think of the right word, so hopefully you get what I am going for. :)